Friday, October 26, 2012

Portland Museum of Art

We went to the Portland Museum of Art the 18th to see the Weatherbeaten: Winslow Homer and Maine and the Between Past and Present: The Homer Studio Photographic Project. I really enjoyed Portland, the city, but I wasn't too impressed with the Photography exhibit. I loved the Winslow Homer exhibit but thats hard not to like. His work makes you feel something out of a bleak and sometimes ridge landscape. Once walking through the Homer exhibit, I had high hopes for the counterpart photo exhibit but I was sadly disappointed. The idea behind the photo projects, or so I thought, were for the artist to go into the landscapes and home that Homer went to to create his art, along with using using processes used in Homers time. I guess I was just disappointed because Homer's work gave me so much feeling and emotion and I wasn't getting any of that through the pictures. The only photos I really liked were some of the ones by Alan Vlach because they reminded me of work I had been doing previously. I also was slightly underwhelmed by the Abe Morell print. I think it reads very nicely from afar but due to the size it was I lost what I liked about it when I saw it in person. I think just overall I was underwhelmed. What I did love about the trip was the actual museum was beautiful, the way it was set up and was maze like. And I liked the trip because I liked the people we went. Good company, good times. 







No comments:

Post a Comment