Chris Jordan is currently exhibiting at the Museum of Art here UNH. His photos from the
Running the Numbers is on display showing UNH students and people in the Durham area how much waste we go through at given times. He says " Finding meaning in these numbers can be difficult because the quantities they represent are invisible, spread across the earth in millions of separate places." While standing in the museum the works can somewhat overwhelming. Its a good way to reflect on todays society. Whole at first the pictures can be striking, I found myself questioning how he took the photos. I figured photoshop would be put into use but exactly how he manipulated images I was confused. Did you take smaller pictures and clone them to make them larger? In some ways I secretly hoped he really gathered thousands of these products and stood on a really big ladder to take a picture. I also really like that his images had a strong meaning. Some photos don't have a clear vision or plan, while Jordan's images take research and planning and his images convey a clear meaning. Overall I found the Chris Jordan exhibit interesting and were a good to start up conversation about environmental and societal issues but I wouldn't want one of his works hanging in my living room.

The grand scale of things.
Close up of the work above.
Depicts 426,000 cell phones, equal to the number of cell phones retired in the US everyday.
Time to reflect on my own wastes. And yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment