Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Douglas Prince Lecture.

Sooo the Douglas Prince Lecture was interesting. I had a weird feeling from the start mainly because I feel like he felt rushed which made me feel rushed. He talked about a lot and was a little scatter-y so the best way I can do this is talk about his pros (stuff he talked about I liked) and cons (stuff I didn't like)

Pros.


  • I liked that he started by saying his work was an evolving vision. its nice to know that even as a successful artist and teacher he's constantly changing. Makes me feel not as bad about changing my work constantly. 
  • I think its cool that he started out doing street photography because I feel like a lot of people do it and that its a starting point for many people. 
  • His three like, cycles. Process to Perception, Explore to Focus, and Curiosity to Euphoria. Things I like to keep in mind. I find it weird that I can't explain my creative ideas yet in all the lectures I've gone to, they seem to be able to express their mind more. I hope it's something that comes with age. 
  • His sense of community that he built for himself through his coworkers and such, I really liked. I like to think once I graduate that I can maintain artist friendships that help drive me. 
  • I REALLY loved his early work where he was combining children with landscapes and building and such. I like how he processed them and how put a lot of thought into editing. 
  • I really liked how he played with dualities in his work and how he mirrored things in his pictures. 
  • I like that he wasn't satisfied with just taking photos, he wanted to constructed the mini box things. Its nice that he wanted to be sculptural with his work. 
  • Finally I like that he has a crazy collection of photos from over the years. Its nice to see all his files and folders and know that accumulating all that stuff can be put to use later on. 
  • His use of landscape shots, arial style and the images from nasa.  
  • He named his daughter Francesca. 
Cons. 

  • I didnt like his later work. When he started getting digital. I thought at first it started out nice and then turned into playing with photoshop. Or a kids when when they do kids pix. I just thought he jumped in style real quickly and it was so different and to me off putting. 
  • He talked about how he didn't think he did abstractions but his later work, to me, is all abstractions. 
  • The picture planes were really cut and paste to me and I didn't understand the relationships. 

A lot of things changed in his later work and I think he got less interesting to me as time went on. Maybe thats because I enjoy working with film but I also like doing giant composites. He seems like a very nice man and I think he started as a very talented artist but eventually moved into an over excited photoshop user. 

Booooo. Dont like. 

Booooo

BOOO


LOVE THIS

LOVE THISSSS



No comments:

Post a Comment